The newsgroup is for discussion of all matters of interest to users of
the following English waterways:
On-Topic matters include but are not necessarily limited to:
- The Middle Level Navigations.
- The River Witham and its associated navigable drains.
- The Rivers Welland, Nene and Gt Ouse and their tributories to their
- The history of the rivers, canals and other navigable drains.
- The current and future state of the waterways.
- The wildlife associated with the waterways.
- The history of the boats, buildings and structures associated with
- Boats currently using the waterways.
- The local navigation authorities, their bye-laws and licences.
- Flood Protection and other conservation matters.
- Boatyards, marinas and other facilities and services for the
Mail List Gateways
Any mailing list which is gatewayed to this list should be RFC
compliant and transparent to the newsgroup's users. If a gateway is
established then the gateway owner shall ensure that the list's
charter shall match that of this newgroup with regard to topic and the
owner contribute to a regularly posted FAQ to explain the implications
of the facility for users either side of the gateway.
Advertising is forbidden, with the following exceptions:
Suppliers of fen waterway - relevant goods and services may post a
pointer to their website or invitation to request details. This may
not exceed four lines and may be posted no more often than once every
three months. The subject line should begin ADVERT:", except for
vacancies, which should begin "JOB:"
Binaries & Formatting
Encoded binaries (e.g. pictures, word processor files, Zip files,
"business cards", etc.), are *forbidden*, with the exception of
cryptographic signatures equivalent to no more than 10 lines of plain
text (e.g. PGP).
Posts must be readable as plaintext; HTML is forbidden. Such material
belongs on a web or ftp site, to which a pointer may be posted.
Posters are invited to read a guide on the World Wide Web at
http://www.usenet.org.uk/ukpost.html for further information on how to
configure newsreaders to post to uk.* newsgroups.
Anyone posting contrary to this charter may be reported to their
postmaster and or ISP.
uk.rec.waterways.fens Discussion of the Fen waterways