This newsgroup is intended as a general discussion area for UK Jews, and
as an information resource about Judaism in the UK.
Non-jews are welcome to join us to ask bona-fide questions, and
to discover information about Judaism. Please read the entire
charter BEFORE posting.
All postings should be in English. Where Hebrew, Yiddish,
Ladino or Aramaic words or phrases are used these should
be translated. Eg:- Brit Milah [circumcision].
Shabbat [the Jewish sabbath] begins 18 minutes
before local sunset on friday and ends after darkness
on saturday. Please do not post within these times.
The saving of life is exempt from this restriction.
On-topic discussions include:
- Discussions regarding judaism from a UK perspective.
- Announcements of specific interest to UK Jews.
- Announcement of Jewish and Interfaith events.
- General chatter and schmoozing by UK Jews.
- Providing information about Judaism to any interested parties.
The following are considered to be off-topic and are
- Crosspostings other than announcements of bona-fide
interfaith events which may be crossposted to all uk.religion
- Attacks against Judaism or Jewish practices. Note that this
restriction is not intended to inhibit valid debate
within a Jewish context.
- Missionary postings and proselyting of any kind.
- Any posting by, or about, so-called 'jews for jesus',
'messianic jews' and similar groups who are actually
christian and should use alt.messianic or
- Postings denying the holocaust.
- Any material intended to be offensive to Jews including
- Advertising in general except for SHORT announcements of
special interest to UK Jews.
- Flames and ad-hominem attacks of any kind.
- Binary postings of any kind including any postings which are
not readable in plain language English.
A FAQ will be regularly posted which will contain information
about where to find Jewish resources on the net.
Moderation submission address
uk.religion.jewish is moderated by a robo-moderator
which automatically approves postings from known users.
Crossposted messages and messages from unknown users
are forwarded to a human moderator.
To reach the human moderator directly, use the email address
uk.religion.jewish Discussion of the jewish faith (Moderated)