uk.sci.astronomy is a forum for amateur and professional
astronomers to discuss astronomy within the UK. Examples of
suitable topics for uk.sci.astronomy include:
- Observing from the UK: Using the naked eye, binoculars,
telescopes, The Moon, Planets, Stars, The Sun, Comets, Meteor
Showers, Deep Sky Objects, Constellations, Aurorae, et. al.
- Equipment: Choosing Telescopes/Binoculars. Choosing Accessories
(Finders, Drives, Eyepieces, Filters, Observatories) Building
Telescopes, Backyard Observatories, etc.
- Astrophotography: Traditional, CCD, Other detectors, Image
- Astronomy Software: Planetarium Programs, Deep Sky Programs,
Observatory Programs, Educational Programs
- Relevant Social Events in the UK: Educational seminars, observing
- Astronomical events visible from the UK: Lunar and Solar Eclipses,
Meteor activity, supernovae etc.
- Tips & Techniques for Amateur Astronomers
- Literature covering the topics listed above.
Is forbidden except for short (less than 10 lines) private adverts
for astronomy related items (telescopes, eyepieces, software,
books etc.) and announcements of events relevant to astronomy
in the UK. Blatant off-topic and commercial advertising is
All posts must be made in plain text; HTML and other types of
formatted text are forbidden. Posting URLs of relevant Internet
sites, where appropriate, is encouraged.
With the explicit exception of PGP signatures, all encoded
binaries are forbidden. Forbidden binaries include,
but are not limited to: pictures, sounds, word processor
documents, spreadsheets, executable programs and "business
cards". You are invited to read a guide on the World Wide Web
at http://www.usenet.org.uk/ukpost.html for further information
on how to configure your newsreader to post to uk.* newsgroups.
Anyone posting advertisements, binaries or other material contrary
to this charter may be reported to their ISP or postmaster.
uk.sci.astronomy Astronomy in the UK